1.Wash and soak urad dal in water for 5 - 6 hours.
2. Drain the water completely. Grind the dal to a coarse mixture,do not add water while grinding. If needed, use very little water.
3. Coarsely grind the black pepper and cumin seeds in a mortar and pestle.
4. In a bowl add the dal mixture, cumin & pepper, hing and salt, mix everything well.
5. Heat ghee in a pan on medium heat.
6.Wet your fingers with water, also wet the plastic sheet/ banana leaf/ wet cloth on which you are making the vada.
7. Take small portions of the batter and flatten them to a thin disc on a plastic sheet/ banana leaf/ wet cloth.
8. Slowly remove the disc and fry in ghee both sides till brown and crispy.
9. Yummy crispy Tirupathi vadas are ready
Note: Grind the dal to a coarse mixture( very important), do not grind it smooth.
Fry in ghee for the original flavor.