Spring green lentil sandwiches with walnut herb ricotta
These healthy, vegetarian lentil sandwiches are packed with so much goodness! French green lentils, cucumber, avocado, and a walnutty, herby ricotta cheese.
A nutritious low calorie dal
1. Cut out the stems and thicker parts of the center ribs of the beet leaves.
2. Wash the ribs and leaves separately and chop them.
3. Wash the dal add around 1.5 cups water , cut the tomato into quarters and add to the dal. Pressure cook this dal for 3 whistles or till done.
4. Heat a saucepan on medium heat , add oil and ghee, when hot add mustard and cumin seeds, dry red chillies, crushed garlic, curry leaves, slit green chillies, hing, and fry till garlic starts to change color. DO not brown the garlic. Now add the sliced shallots, fry till they turn pink.
5. Reduce the heat add turmeric, chopped beet stems. Cook on low heat till the stems are half cooked.
6. Now add the chopped beet leaves and cook till they are wilted.
7. Add the red chilli powder, cooked dal, tamarind paste and salt. Add water as per the required consistecy of dal.( Dal thickens a bit when cooled).
8. Allow it boil and cook for 3 - 4 mins more.
9. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with rice or roti/chapathi.
Note: Ghee can be used insead of oil for Tadka