1. Wash and soak the black eyed beans (alasandalu) for 4 - 6 hrs.
2. After soaking, drain the water, wash again and keep aside.
3. Heat a pressure cooker on medium heat, add the oil.
4. When the oil is ready add chopped green chillies and onions. Fry the onions till they turn light brown in color.
5. Add the ginger and garlic, mix well. Then add the chopped/ pureed tomato.
6. Reduce the heat to medium low and add the dry spices, turmeric, redchilly powder, cumin and coriander powder. Mix well and cook till oil starts to separate from the edges.
7. Now add the soaked beans. Cook them on medium heat till all the water evaporates.
8. Now add 3 cups of water and pressure cook on medium high heat till 1 whistle. Then lower the heat to medium low and cook for 5 more mins.
9. After the pressure is released, cook the beans on medium heat. Add salt, sugar and kasoori methi, cook till the gravy thickens.
10. Lastly add the fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves and serve hot with rice/ roti/ puri.