Traditional Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani
- ¾ Kg ( 750 gms)Chicken
- 1/ 2 kg Basmati Rice
- 4 medium sized Onions cut into thin round slices
- 1 small cup refined oil
- 1 cup Coriander (cilantro) leaves divide into 2 parts
- 1 Cup Mint (pudina) Leaves divide into two parts
- 1 Teaspoon Green chilli paste
- Little less than ½ Teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 heaped Teaspoon Red chilli powder
- Salt 1.25 Teaspoon for chicken , 1.5 Teaspoon for rice
- 1 Small Cup Curd
- Juice of 3 Small Lemons
- 3 Teaspoon Ginger Garlic paste
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Shahi jeera
- 6 Cloves
- 14 elaichi (Cardamoms)
- 1 Small Teaspoon pieces of Dalchini (cinnamon)
- 4 Biryani (Bay Leaves)
- 1 Marathi Mogga
- 2 Japathri
- 1 Black Elaichi (Cardamom)
- 1 Star anise
- Few Strands of Saffron Soaked in above listed milk
- 3 small slit green chillies
- 2 Teaspoons rose water.
- Wash the chicken properly and drain out water completely. Spread the chicken in a heavy bottomed vessel in which you are going to prepare the biryani.
- Crush the Shahijeera, dalchini, cloves, elaichi with the skin with a motor and pestle. Add ¾th of this garam masala to chicken and keep the rest ¼th a side.
- Grind half of the coriander and half of mint leaves to a paste.
- To the chicken add ginger garlic paste, turmeric, green chilli paste, coriander and mint paste, red chilli powder, salt for chicken, lemon juice, and curd. Mix all these ingredients very well with chicken and marinate the chicken. Ideally it is marinated for 3 – 4 hrs. If in hurry min 1 hour marination is required.
- Heat the oil in a kadai on medium heat, when its hot, deep fry the onions in batches till they turn brown color. Fry the onions in batches, otherwise they will not be crisp. Separate the fried onions in a plate. Do not fry the onions on very high heat, it will give a bitter taste. Keep the oil aside.
- After the marination of the chicken is done, start cooking the rice.
- Wash the basmati rice and soak for 15 mins. For 2 cups rice take 8 cups water in another vessel, add salt for rice, star anise, Marathi mogga, black elaichi, biryani leaves, japathri, 1 teaspoon oil. And boil the water on medium high heat.
- When the water is boiling, drain the rice and add it to the boiling water. When the rice is half cooked, take around 2 cups of rice water separately, and drain all the water from the rice using a strainer/ mesh / lid.
- Now add the remaining ¼ garam masala to the rice and mix gently. Keep this rice aside.
- Now take the oil in which onions were fried, keep around 2 tbsp oil separate, add the remaining oil all around and in between the chicken, now add 6- 8 Tablesppon rice water same way as oil, Allow the oil and rice water to seep to the bottom of the vessel by moving the chicken with the help of a spoon.
- Spread out the chicken evenly in the vessel, now spread the fried onions, half of chopped coriander and mint leaves evenly. Add 2 – 3 slit green chilies on top.
- Now add the rice evenly on the chicken in the form of a layer, add above said 2 tablespoon oil, 2- 4 tablespoon rice water, saffron milk, rose water all around the rice. Then spread fried onions, chopped coriander and mint leaves evenly on rice.
- Cover the vessel with an aluminum foil completely so that no air escapes from the vessel.
- Now place a lid on this and again place a heavy weight on the lid like a marble motor pestle, or a vessel full of water.
- Place this vessel on the stove. Cook on medium high heat for around 4 – 5 mins, then reduce the flame to medium heat and cook for 10 mins, again reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 more mins.
- Remove from heat. Keep it aside for 15 mins. Later remove the lid and foil. Mix the rice with chicken very gently.
- Biryani is ready, serve it with mirchi ka salon or bagara baigan or capsicum masala curry and onion raita.
1. Instead of aluminum foil you can give the dum with the wheat flour dough. Roll the dough and attach it to the edges of the biryani vessel. Place the lid on top it and seal the vessel and lid with the help of dough so that no air escapes.
2. You can cook this biryani even if rose water, marathi mogga, staranise , japathri and saffron etc are not available. Adding these things gives extra flavor.
3. You can use fresh olive oil, instead of onions fried oil.